Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Remembering San Antonio

We are now in San Antonio, Texas, staying with Linda, my first cousin once removed, (my Mom's cousin). I haven't seen her since I was nine years old, when my family came here for Linda's daughter's (my second cousin) wedding. That was the only other time I've been to San Antonio and it's been really fun catching up with Linda (and Linda's sister Mary who stopped by yesterday for lunch).

Jaimee and I had a nice, quick tour of San Antonio. We went on the famed San Antonio river walk. We didn't take a river taxi, although we did walk alongside one for a little while to hear some of the history.
We also went through the Alamo, which is definitely worth a visit. You can tour the grounds and they have lots of artifacts and other items to look at. I learned that Texas has been it's own country, part of the United States (obviously) and also part of the Confederate States during the Civil War. And that Texas used to include half of New Mexico and stretched all the way up into Colorado before the Civil War, but they sold all that land in order to be a "slave state". As the man we met in Guadalupe told us - that was a "bad bargain."

Now we're on our way to New Orleans. We're getting a late start (as usual), so we're not sure if we'll make it all the way there today...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails